Alaska, for nature lovers: Part 1

I dreamt of lush green landscape, grey hills, wild flowers, rivers making their way amid the rocks, dolphins dancing with the waves and humpbacks playing in the ocean. But this is no longer a dream now.

We decided to travel to Alaska in July as the weather starts warming up, the trees are blooming and the grass gets greener every day. When I was a kid, I read in my geography books about glaciers, native Alaskans, the Tundras, huskies, dog sledge, totem poles, igloos where the native Alaskans used to live etc. All this created a picture in my mind of Alaska and I was really curious to explore this part of the World.


I enjoyed Alaska wilderness during my 10 day trip to this wonderland. We flew to Anchorage and then went on a road trip. 


Day 1- Anchorage
Day 2- Girdwood, Portage glacier, Byron glacier
Day 3- Seward- Kenai Fjord Cruise.
Day 4- Seward, Exit Glacier, Crow creek mine.
Day 5- Palmer, Wasila
Day 6- Matanuska Glacier
Day 9- Talkeetna, Hatcher pass
Day 10- Anchorage

Truly Alaska


Fresh water lake from the Byron Glacier


Crow Creek mine


Portage lake




Matanuska Glacier

We explored the 3 forms of nature: land, water and ice. From glaciers to the ice fields, from lakes to oceans, and from towns to mountains, we saw it all.  


We took a day cruise to explore the Kenai Fjords. We went into the Resurrection bay to see all the birds, bald eagles, puffins, sea lions etc. Ocean acts as a womb for puffins, otters, dolphins, humpbacks and orca (killer whales). When I was in 7th standard, I learnt in my geography class that glaciers are moving rivers or ice and I could actually witness that. I saw 5 glaciers in Alaska and all of them seemed to be different in their form, shape and size. I heard stories from native Alaskans about glaciers receding due to global warming. The inexorable force of glaciers carve out lakes, grinds down mountains, scatters strange rock formations across the countryside and reduces solid rock to fine clay. 


I felt that I could breathe easier there. I could breathe fresh air. I was happy, I was cheerful and I was breathing my lungs out. I found serenity there and I was myself. It was a great relaxation away from the high skyscrapers and the crowded streets of New York. I was at peace there.

Alaska is a unique experience whatever time of year you choose to visit. Every tourist has his own opinion on “When is the best time to visit Alaska?” Ask ten different people and you will get ten different answers.  It really depends on what activities you wish to do. 


I am glad that we visited Alaska in July as it is the warmest month of the year. If Alaska can get crowded, July is when it happens. The hotels are full and advanced reservations are imperative. If you are planning to visit Alaska in July, I would recommend booking your vacation two months before for the best availability. In July, the main tourist destinations are packed than normal but Alaska is a huge state so if you want to avoid the crowds there are plenty of places to go.


Winters are long and cold in Alaska. In the northern Alaska, temperature can go as low as -40deg F. If you want to do skiing, enjoy dog sledge and see Northern lights, then winters (Feb-Mar) is the time to go. 


Now, I know that there is some place on this earth where I can find serenity and be at peace. 

I hope and I wish that I go back there sometime soon.

Comments