Alaska, for wildlife lovers: Part 4

You must have heard the phrase “A picture is worth a thousand words,” but I would take it a step further in saying that an experience is worth a thousand pictures. Millions and millions of photographs illustrate many aspects of Alaska. But until a person truly experiences Alaska, those pictures will not have any real meaning. Take a picture of a breeching orca, or an otter waving to you, then the true experience will be like no other.

I like to enjoy nature, see the waterfalls and spend as much time as I can, to wander in the woods. I spotted most of the wildlife during the bus tour in Denali National Park. Along the way I saw most of the wildlife Alaska is famous for: grizzly bear.  A herd of Dahl Sheep were seen grazing on the green pastures. Sighting of a moose and caribou were pretty common. We caught sight of a fox and a porcupine (which is very rare) running into the brush.


Moose crossing the road


Porcupine

Caribou, resting in peace and keeping an eye on grizzlies

Fox, running out of the brush

Otter, enjoying the swim
You don’t have to disappear into the vast wilderness of Alaska to encounter animals with big teeth, claws and antlers. However, many people take the Bear Watching tour at Katmai National Park. You can go for it if you'd like some adventure with the grizzlies. You can visit the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at the southern end of Turnagain arm on the Seward Highway. The Center serves as a wildlife sanctuary and is designed to duplicate the animals’ natural surroundings. It is pretty good.
Our trip down Turnagain Arm was a trip down memory lane for me. It was one of my favorite drives in Alaska.
We saw some sea life in the Kenai Fjords National Park. We took Major Marine cruises and it was a good experience. We stayed on upper deck and saw Humpback whales, who waved their tails at me as if to greet me on my trip to Alaska. We were surrounded by the white walls of the fjords, and I felt like this must be a little piece of heaven. Who cares if I had to wear a jacket? We stopped near the shore where we saw sea lion, puffins, otters, orcas (killer whales).
Each day of our trip impressed me more and more. From the charming villages, where we had to struggle each day to find some vegetarian food to the floating icebergs. From the Alaska Grizzly to the dancing humpbacks. I just couldn't get enough. This is pure Northwest beauty. The most impressive kind.

I hope I hadn't booked my return tickets to New York :)

Some Recommendations

Comments